With authentic furnishings imported from Ireland, set foot into PJ’s Leichhardt to be immersed in the spirit of Ireland…
Oak barrels, rustic bar stools, stone flooring, shelves adorned with Irish antiques complete with a giant stone wall painted with a mural of St Patrick swathe the venue with an exquisite Irish charm like no other. With a range of entertainment from Live Irish Music, to the light-hearted merry-making Irish Seisiúns, a bet on the races, or simply a Poker or Trivia game or 2, PJ’s Leichhardt will provide the perfect atmosphere for any mood. Be sure to indulge your tastebuds at our Bistro, with sumptuous Irish fare brought to you by Executive Chef Ronny Ghantous, paired with a glass of wine or an icy cold beer.
Set right on the corner of Norton Street, PJ Gallagher’s Irish Pub has certainly brought a taste of Ireland to Sydney’s Little Italy.
T’was the 1840s, potato famine & disease were savage. The Irish population was left badly ravaged. Fever and dysentery were relieved only by a Cholera particularly bad throughout the Limerick area. Sailing on board the John McIver, fleeing famine and disease was the family of Gallagher – Lawrence, wife Honarah, and his brother John set off for a new land in 1851, taking naught but the very clothes they wore. John and Lawrence embarked for a distant shore heading for New South Wales, the Sydney Town colony. 6-month-old Mary did not last the journey. Once on shore in a vast new land the Gallaghers became a prosperous clan. Established in Maitland, until in 1854, the Gallaghers moved to south of Dungog in search of more.
In 1853, Lawrence fathered a son, John James, or ‘J.J.’ as he was to become. A great entrepreneur, J.J. travelled as a young man selling utensils and clothing with his horse and a van. J.J. travelled through Dungog, Stroud and the Manning River returning back through Wallamba and Bulladealah. In the 1870’s near Larry’s Flat, J.J. bought land abound with the hope of establishing a new and prosperous town, now known as Krambach. The Gallaghers poured in, Lawrence and John bought all their kith and kin. He built the first post office in 1881, a general store, slaughterhouse and butchery were to come In 1879. J.J. became a married man marrying a girl of Moy, named Mary AnneJ.J. then built the town’s first hotel and established a large and loyal clientele. For over a decade, Krambach thrived til the railway was built and the population declined. The hotel was then run by Austin, J.J’s son, thence Brian, J.J.’s grandson, took over the hotel’s run and so tis a tale began in woe and poverty. But a fair land and hard work ended misery. A dynasty began with brothers Lawrence and John and 1000s of pints shared continues four generations on.